I have a lot of weaknesses. I can't resist a shoe sale. I love key lime pie so much that I gained 8lbs in 6 days because I couldn't stop eating it. I can't resist a sale of any kind. I have bad spending habits.
But, I'm pretty sure that the point of this week is weaknessess associated with writing. So I will do my best to share only those things related to my chosen profession.
1. Writing - As I mentioned last week, this girl knows how to kick a word count in it's ass. The weakness comes with sitting down to actually do it. I am supposed to be writing right now. (I am ALWAYS supposed to be writing and very rarely do.) It is difficult for me to sit down and actually start typing. Once I do, I'm home free. I'll get the work done. There just always seems to be something better to do.
2. Attention span - I have the attention span hey look a squirrel. I don't do well sitting still for hours without my mind wandering. I think that's why I have to have the television or the radio on when I write. If something else is going on while I am writing I am more likely to keep doing it. But if it's quiet, I want to go do something else. I need lots of things distracting me to get me to concentrate. Clear as mud? Good. Moving on.
3. Follow through - I usually have a good idea going into a book of what will happen at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end of it. Unfortunately, it almost never works out the way I plan. My characters are living, breathing entities in my head and just because I want them to act a certain way doesn't mean I'm going to get them to do that. And that's fine, I want them to be true to themselves not me. I know how to get out of a characters way and let them run the story. (Hey, I should have put that as a strength in last weeks post. Damn.)
4. Summaries - I f*ck@ng hate summarizing a story. I suck at it. I don't like it and I never want to do it. If the story could be told in two pages I would have told it in two pages and saved myself a world of hurt and pain and time. I understand the need for a blurb, but I will never understand why I need a full summary of a book the publisher has already read and accepted. And you can explain it all you want, I will never agree to it's necessity. Hate it hate it hate it.
5. Blurbs - They are important, as I said. But I SUCK at writing them. Again, not good with cramming the plot of the story into a small space. Just suck at it.
6. Excerpts - I know that readers love excerpts. But I have a hard time pulling them from books. It's difficult to pull a scene that doesn't give anything away, but hooks the reader in, that isn't from too far at the beginning of the book and has enough story in it that the reader isn't totally lost by it. Plus, it can't be too long or too short. Bah. I hope you appreciate the work we put into finding you two pages of a book to read so you can decide whether or not you want to read the whole thing. We don't mind doing it for you, and we want you to love it and read the whole thing, but man it is a hard process.
7. Moving - A writer's job is to sit on their ass and type. This leads to a very sedentary lifestyle. It also is directly to blame for the 3 dress sizes I have gone up since I became a published author. I don't move from a desk. I work at one for the day job, then I come home make dinner and plop my growing ass in front of my laptop for more sitting time. I need to make a concious effort to go out and move around. Take a walk. Start doing Pilates again. Something. It isn't healthy for me to drink gallons of Diet Coke and stare at a monitor all day. Plus, it wouldn't hurt me to eat a salad once in a while. Not every meal needs to be a cheeseburger. Damn that sounds good. Bacon Cheddar BBQ burger on garlic bread with fries from Gatorville. Maybe with a Shipwreck on the side. Mmmm.... it's only 18 hours away. I could make it there and back by Monday.
8. Staying on topic - Even in my books I have a habit of wandering off on tangents. Luckily I catch most of them and delete them out before my editors ever get a chance to see them. I suppose this goes with attention span, but I gave it it's own section so it looks like a real list instead of last weeks pathetic strength list I shared.
9. Punctuation - I like commas. Alot.
10. Promo - I am not good at promo. I am good at BUYING things (postcards, business cards, magnets, keychains, etc) but not so good at actually handing them out. Thank goodness for RT, I was able to get rid of tons of stuff. But I still have BOXES of it in my closet and I just ordered more. But my new business cards are beautiful and I can't wait to hand them out. I want everyone to have one cause they are pretty, pretty, pretty.
So there we are. Twice as many weaknessess as strengths. That sounds about right. I didn't get them all I'm sure, but I may have at least stayed on topic this week.
Yay me! I should reward myself with a few episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.