Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I'm sure no one will be stunned

...my favorite Otherworldly creatures are faeries. I've been sitting here trying to figure out why I find them so appealing, and to be honest, I'm still not sure. But I have a theory. It may not be a particularly good theory, but it's all I've got, so I'm going with it.

There's the obvious draw of magic. Being able to poof things into existence would be convenient. Enchanting, beguiling and glamouring? Also damn handy. Flying? Totally badass.
These are all really nifty, but I think I realized that what I find mostly compelling about the idea of faeries is their connection with nature.

They're almost an archetypal representation of all that's beautiful and terrifying in the natural world. They're the splendor of a windswept autumn forest and the delicate loveliness of velvety flower petals uncurling in spring. They're the harsh, crystalline beauty of a frozen landscape in winter and the dew-wet grass shimmering on a vibrant summer lawn. They're the personification of all these things that most of us look at every day, but never really see. Beautiful, majestic, wild and more than a little dangerous - the guardians of the natural world. And like nature, they're not necessarily good and they're not necessarily evil. They just are.

I have no illusions that I've said anything terribly profound, but it's really late, and I fear I may have been talking out of my butt. To apologize, and perhaps distract you, I'd like to share some of my very favorite faery art.

For a whimsical look at faeries, I love Amy Brown's work.

Next is Marc Potts. His work is amazing, earthy and would look perfect in my house - must look into that.

Julia Helen Jeffery work is fantastic - I love her use of pastels - something I very rarely enjoy.

And finally, my very favorite, Brian Froud who I got a chance to meet last weekend! You can read about the adventure here. :)

7 comments:

Chris said...

That last picture seems very familiar to me...

Brynn Paulin said...

Brian Froud has some of the most incredible art... :-)

Teresa said...

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing. I love faeries myself just because they make me happy no matter what's going on.

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Nice! Reminds me of illustrations in the book Children of Odin - which I have...
Very old school.

Margaret Yang said...

I often wonder about Cinderella's fairy godmother, you know, before she got the Disney treatment. What kind of fairy was she? What was her motive for helping Cinderella? How did she become a godmother in the first place?

It's fun to ponder stuff like that.

Fairies are cool.

Genella deGrey said...

I am obsessed with Amy Brown Fae. To have that sort of talent without having gone to school for it blows my mind.

I have a nice-sized collection at home that flows over to my desk at work.

A psychic once looked at me and said, "Winged creatures are very attracted to you."

I'm pretty sure she didn't mean bugs. LOL
:)
G.

Kris Norris said...

Yes, poofing things here and there would definitely come in handy. I sooo love the faeries in the Aremis Fowl books... what a great take on them.

I think I love their healing abilities best. I sure could use those..

Great post.
hugs,